Teachers: Now and Then

This post has been published by me on the occasion of the Teachers' Day as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 2; the second edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.


5/09/09



M. Govind
Roll number:12
?,Always 'C'section



Short answers (2 marks)
1) What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of teachers?
Teachers are the worst villains. Not all are villains. But the villains certainly outnumber the good ones by quite a big margin. (0 Marks)
2) Think rationally and write in a few words about your teachers.
Kudos to all those teachers who had the patience to read through my answer sheets after being impressed with my neatly written name and roll number, after which I promptly disappointed them with my not-so-neatly written answers. Because if I had evaluated my papers, I would not have reached any further than primary school. (2 Marks)

Answer in brief (5 marks)
1) What are your thoughts on teachers and teaching profession in general?
(I should impress my teacher here... common 5 marks.)
Teaching is one of the noblest professions around. Teachers have always been taken for granted. They have been (and will be) expected to work their magic on kids on whom even their very own parents have lost hope. They forgive and forget our mistakes day in and day out with magnanimity that people from other profession can match only in dreams.
(3 Marks)
2) Do you aspire to be a teacher some day in your life?
I would never want to be a teacher myself. Because even if someone curses me to the extent that I have cursed my teachers I am doomed .I can’t stand people who don’t listen to me when I talk. I can never put myself into a position where people make fun of me all day, call me by atrocious nick names and wish I would fall sick every day. (4 Marks)
Answer in detail (10 marks)
1) Compare teachers now and teachers of yesteryears.

When you talk of teachers now and teachers then you always get an impression that teachers were better then. Why is that so?

It might have nothing to do with the standard of teaching. It might be only because we have nothing else to believe other that what we hear from our elders. Elders keep telling us that teachers in those days were more sincere, dedicated etc. We listen to this happily and we are not even ready to validate this. Because we would love everyone to believe that we don’t have good teachers. After all you have an extra reason to fall back upon for scoring poorly.

Teachers today face a far greater challenge than what teachers faced then. Until recently apart from the normal troubles like students murmuring in the class what bigger problem could a student create? Probably eat in the class!! Now? Mobiles, Mp3 players, PSPs what not? I can never imagine our elders being as eloquent as we have been. Would they have ever voiced their opinions? Would they have ever been as disobedient as we have been? You know the answers don’t you? There are so many distractions around us. What distraction do you think our parents would have had? Probably radio… It must have been far easier to make a kid read. So teachers today have a herculean task at hand.

Having said all that, teachers today have their own shortcomings. Money has driven teaching standards to lower levels. Teaching is a profession, yes. People have to make money out of it, yes. They need not do it as a service, yes. But should money be the only motive? No. With all the tuition centers around, teachers are more concerned about making money. They try and allure students at school to join their tuition centers. This defeats the whole purpose of having schools and hampers the profession of teaching in general.
(6 Marks)
Complementary question
Would you like to thank any teacher at all?

Although I don’t like this idea of tuition, I have enjoyed tuition centers. I met the best amongst my teachers in one such tuition. She taught me math in my +1 and +2.She is the first one who comes to my mind when I think of teachers I like. I owe a lot to her. I would like to believe that teachers of today are far better than teachers of yesteryears just for her sake. Total : 16/24 (oops!! there is a totalling mistake...but when you get more who cares . LOL)

The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton are Vipul, Rajalakshmi, Dhiman, Ranee[1], [2], [3] , Avada, Indian Pundit, Sojo, Aneet, Pramathesh, Aativas, Sid, Pra, Ajinkya, Lakshmi, Shilpa, Bharathi, Shankar, Mytuppence, Azad, Pawan, Pankaja, Saimanohar, Guria, Shruti, Vishnu,Nasrajan and Richa. Click on their respective names to read their posts on Teachers : Aaj Kal. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.

32 Response to “Teachers: Now and Then”

  1. Rajeswari says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  2. Sojo Varughese says:

    bull's eye..... as satirical as satire can get...:)

  3. Anonymous says:

    :D Wow! Sirji... You get full marks from me :D

  4. Raji U says:

    Dude, that was awesome!! Good thinking..too good to be creative. all the best to win

  5. Shilpa Garg says:

    Wow! A very different style of presentation!! Very interesting too!
    Full marks from me too! :)

  6. Siddhesh Kabe says:

    oh my....awesome presentation...hi i am Ravan btw...

    You pass this exam by getting so low grades...;)

  7. Tuppence says:

    A very nice idea for this post.

  8. Bharathi says:

    this is the most creative presentation I hav seen so far. all the best.

  9. Shruti says:

    the best creative post!!
    Wow!!
    How come you thought like this?!!

    Very good answers for all the questions!

  10. Govind says:

    Thanks everyone!!Thanks a Ton for your comments !! Initially I thought my post looked OK...but now it looks awsome with your comments on it !!

  11. Anonymous says:

    wow that was really the most creative post in blog-a-ton.. very nice.. read my take on this at my site too.. all the best!

  12. Anonymous says:

    wow that was really the most creative post in blog-a-ton.. very nice.. read my take on this at my site too.. all the best!

  13. Pramathesh says:

    I think that was the best post I read for Blog-a-tonic 2. It is not what you say that matters, it is the style of presentation that matters.

  14. Azad says:

    "I would never want to be a teacher myself. Because even if someone curses me to the extent that I have cursed my teachers I am doomed .I can’t stand people who don’t listen to me when I talk. I can never put myself into a position where people make fun of me all day, call me by atrocious nick names and wish I would fall sick every day."

    Damn!!! I give everybody the same reason for not being a teacher!!!!

    Loved the Q & A format. It really broke the protocol... After seeing at around 25 posts since morning on the same topic, one tends to get bored...! But yours was awesome!

  15. pawan says:

    What a Whacko! presentation!
    Absolutely loved it, you must be getting 24/24 but who cares? (we do :D)

    Cheers mate!

  16. pawan says:

    Strictly, get yourself a followers widget mate!

  17. Indian Pundit says:

    Good one Govind.

    Crazy stuff....hahahaha....satire is brilliant.

    Cheers and check out mine.

  18. Lakshmi Rajan says:

    The Q&A concept is brilliant !

    - Lakshmi Rajan

    www.gingerchai.com

  19. aativas says:

    liked the q&A idea..it fits well with the topic.. good mixture of honest opinion with humour.. great post

  20. Dr. Ranee Kaur Banerjee says:

    Interesting format, Govind, and one I'm quite familiar and comfortable with. Thanks for making this so easy for me!

    Ranee

  21. Govind says:

    thanks guys...:) your comments are very motivating..and Pawan ..i will get a follower widget.. :)
    thanks again!!

  22. Vipul Grover says:

    Brilliant presntation thr buddy.. CAn't give u anything short of full marks:)
    U raised sum relevant questions like problems of disobedience faced by teachers these days.
    Gr8 innovative wrk thr:)

  23. Sai Manohar says:

    great presentation ..heights of creativity

  24. Prashansa says:

    Question and answer form! So the first impression is good! 2 more grace marks! You would become a great teacher.You have a great capacity to sketch out the questions and then asses them and give the marks! naturally you have model answers ready!!" They forgive and forget our mistakes day in and day out with magnanimity that people from other profession can match only in dreams." Good one!After all you have an extra reason to fall back upon for scoring poorly.Ha..Ha..
    A very good post!!

  25. Shilpa Garg says:

    Congratulations on winning the Blog-a-Ton 2!! :)

  26. Guria says:

    Congratulations!!!! Great job!! :)

  27. Govind says:

    Thanks everyone!! thanks for the wishes.... :)

    Govind

  28. Ava says:

    Congrats on winning ! At last you get 1st rank.. even if its shared :) Your teachers will finally be proud of you.

  29. Prashansa says:

    Congrats govind on winning Blog-a-ton 2!!

  30. Pramathesh says:

    I voted for you and you misspelled my name? Very Bad!!!!!

  31. Govind says:

    Sorry Pramathesh.. :) but now u know why i get low grades ... :)

  32. Unknown says:

    :) U covered all the topics from the book called Teacher.. I understood the lessons from the way u have presented it here.. very creative.. Cheers !!

Blog a ton

Blog a ton
Blog-a-ton