What if



This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 7; the seventh edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.



Pretty interesting words I should say. Because, depending on the way you use it, you can either end up dreaming big or you can end up having nightmares after treading along the path of pessimism. I have had loads of both these categories. I have dreamt big, even some unrealistic ones and I have had nightmares.


One of the earliest ones I remember is the one I used to have on the eve of every difficult exam, what if there is a pen which could memorize all the answers and reproduce it on the answer papers. On the other hand there have been nightmares asking what if the question paper just has the questions which I conveniently decided to omit. Unfortunately the pen never materialized, but the question papers did.


Then I have had dreams of what if I become a pilot, a vet nary doctor, an engineer, an astronaut, prime minister what not? But yes, there was always a scary thought “what if I end up just grazing buffaloes like my math teacher often insists I would?”


What if I get caught while I copy is one seriously thrilling thought during exams and Yes! At times it has stopped me from going too far which is good. But the fear of what if I drown in water hasn’t helped my swimming lessons in anyway. I’ve tried so hard, but even now my swimming instructor says I’m too rigid in water and I need to relax more to be able to even dream of swimming.


So what if I put a couple of dents in the rented car was one positive thought which spurred me on to rent a car and go for a long drive. But given the amount of money that I stand to lose this positive what if thought slowly moved towards the negative side and I don’t rent cars anymore.
What if I am the prime minister is one positive what if that has got me dreaming right from schooling days. I am pretty sure it is the same with most of you as well. I only got as far as no exams, no teachers, no home work and more holidays back then. These days it’s more sensible. But my surname is not Gandhi so this one is going to be one of those pen dreams. But that doesn’t stop us from dreaming does it?


What if I quit my job and go back to studying and writing exams is one what if for which I don’t know if I should go with the positive kind of what if or the negative kind.


Given all the experience I know that “What if’s” of the positive kind have more often than not taken me forward whereas “What if’s” of the negative kind have mostly been hindering my progress. But with age I think it’s more of the negative kind which fills up our mind. The fear of losing plays a decisive part in deciding which kind of What if we should choose. The challenge is to keep this aside and weigh the options rationally.



The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.

9 Response to “What if”

  1. Sureindran says:

    seriously Govind, I have thought all your "what ifs" as well. It's a good experience reading your post. Keep writing mate!

  2. Meenakshi says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  3. Meenakshi says:

    first time at Recreation. Happy I did. Stalked you here from Blog-a-ton.

    The first thought that ran in my mind as soon as I finished reading was -honest post. Believe me, I have never ever said that to myself before after reading any post. so that's a new for me.

    You sure did manage to make me smile and to put me to thought with your post.

    Loved your " Unfortunately the pen never materialized, but the question papers did."

  4. Chetan Maheshwari says:

    goo one
    you are right, it's up to us how we use this magical world

  5. MADHU RAO | (INDImag.COM) says:

    Hey Govind, nice to see you back on BAT.

    Good one. Like most things life the way we perceive what-ifs does make a huge difference like you detail -- could be the basis of a scientific reasoning or cry of a troubled soul or just a curious never ending phrase on a curious 3 year old's tongue(God help the parents ! )

  6. Mahesh Aadhya Kalal says:

    Will consider this for voting . :)
    Need to say more ?

  7. Anonymous says:

    Ah 'What Ifs'....they rule my life! The negative ones though. Being an anxious person, 'what if' is like the mantra of my life! :p Not good I know....

    It'd be good if more of us could focus on the positive what ifs, eh? I mean, why can't you be the PM??? :)

  8. Karthik says:

    So many thought provoking questions there. Wish the answers were easy too. Whatever decisions we take, it comes and stops at one last decision - yes or no. And then another question pops up: what if yes and what if no. It's all in our hands.
    Very nice write up.
    All the best for batom.
    Cheerios!

  9. Anonymous says:

    Very true. My dad used to say, One who fears every time is the one to lose every time. very well said..
    Good luck..

Blog a ton

Blog a ton
Blog-a-ton